Arthritis is one of the most common chronic diseases in the world and countless people suffer from this disease of different ages. There are several ways and means to treat arthritis and one of them is Ayurveda.
Ayurveda and Athritis
- Ayurveda states that arthritis is primarily a vata (air) disease which is due to accumulation of toxins in the joints and is known as amavata.
- This can be caused by poor digestion and a weakened colon, resulting in the accumulation of undigested food and the buildup of waste matter.
- Poor digestion allows toxins to accumulate in the body, and problems with the colon allow the toxins to reach the joints
A few symptoms to predict arthritis could be:
- Immense pain & stiffness in affected muscles in case of chronic muscular rheumatism
- Pain or tenderness in a joint which is aggravated by any movement or activity, such as walking, getting up from a chair, writing, typing, holding an object, throwing a ball, turning a key
- Excruciating pain and stiffness in the joints in case of chronic articular rheumatism
Some Herbal Remedies for Arthritis
The following are a few simple cures that might just help relieve you from the pain of arthritis:
- Two teaspoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey mixed in a cup of warm water taken twice a day is good for curing arthritis
- Two teaspoons of juice from fresh leaves of bathua, drink every day on an empty stomach for 2-3 months; Half a teaspoon of turmeric powder with warm water helps cure arthritis
- Taking alfalfa tea twice a day makes a good cure
- Two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 2 teaspoons of honey dissolved in a small glass of warm water taken once or twice a day brings relief
- Rub the aching joints with hot vinegar to get some relief from pain
- Two parts pure olive oil and one part kerosene makes a wonderful liniment to bathe afflicted joints
- Add one tablespoon cod liver oil to the juice of one orange, whip and drink before sleeping
- One raw clove of garlic every day is very beneficial. This clove can be fried in ghee (clarified butter) or castor oil. You could try taking for a period of 2 months; Guggulu is very helpful in curing arthritis
- Eat half a teaspoon twice a day after meals with warm water
- Exercise the afflicted joints in a tub full of hot water