The pain is caused due to the damage in the joint. Joints are basically made of 3 parts. They are:
- Cartilage – This is a hard, polished coating to the joint ends. This helps the bones to slide smoothly upon each other.
- Capsule – This is a tough membrane that encloses the parts of the joints.
- Synovium – This is a thin membrane that lines the capsule and deposits synovial fluid that helps in lubricating the joint and nourishing the cartilage.
The common causes of joint inflammation include –
- Autoimmune disease
- Wear and tear of joints
- Broken bone
- Bacterial or viral infection
- Metabolic abnormalities
There are 2 major categories of arthritis –
- The first category caused by wear and tear of cartilage, i.e. ostearthritis
- The second category caused by inflammation of the synovium, i.e. rheumatoid arthritis