Baking Soda for Gout – An Efficient Home Remedy
Gout is severe form of arthritis where the pain caused can really trouble a patient. Baking soda for gout pains is an efficient home remedy that can bring almost an instantaneous end to the pain in the patient. The chances are that the disease may be alleviated or be ended completely. This effect might vary from person to person.
Baking Soda for Gout
Gout patients who include bicarbonate of soda or baking soda into their diet can find relief instantaneously or in a day or may be a week. But, for sure there is relief guaranteed. Let us see how to use this.
First thing is that baking soda is cheap and is easy to use. Take a half teaspoon of the bicarbonate and mix it into 8 ounces of water. Make sure that all the soda is dissolved in it. Consume the liquid four times daily. Since gout attacks are severe at night, make sure you consume before going to bed.
For a few people even a quarter spoon of the soda works. The lesser the amount of soda the much better.
How Does Baking Soda Work?
Gout attacks are triggered due to the deposition of urate crystals into the joint spaces. According to Sir Alfred Garrod, who first recognised the presence of these urate crystals in the blood, the blood is less alkalised in such cases.
- So, increasing the blood pH (a measure of basicity and acidity) or alkalising the blood is very important in these patients.
- Bicarbonate of soda or baking soda helps blood to alkalise thereby allowing the urate crystals to either dissolve or help the blood hold the uric acid without crystallizing.
First thing to keep in mind is that baking soda is not the only gout cure. Based upon a doctor’s advice and the existing health conditions, one has to consume the liquid.
- Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) can lead to high blood pressure, nausea, headaches, appetite loss, vomiting, and stomach aches.
- Also, when consuming the bicarbonate of sodium, it is important to cut down the intake of salt as baking soda contains high amounts of sodium. Excess sodium elevates the blood pressure levels.
- People who suffer from kidney, heart and liver disease also should consult their doctors before using this home remedy as it can interfere with the other drugs they are usually prescribed.
According to an online poll, baking soda for gout has shown relief in at least 85 percent people.