Rheumatoid Arthritis Can be Reversed
According to Dr.Harris Perlman of the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Rheumatoid Arthritis can be cured. Not just cured but Rheumatoid Arthritis(RA) can be reversed as well. Dr.Perlman has been able to develop a new molecule that proliferates into the blood stream and kills the auto antibodies responsible for RA.
The Molecule Works on Mice:
As reported by Dr.Perlman the molecule has been tested on mice(drugs developed are usually first tested on mice as the nervous system of both mice and humans is more or less the same).
- The molecule has been able to stop the disease in almost 75 percent of the mice tested.
- Another interesting point to be noted is the minimal toxic levels associated with the molecule upon treatment said Dr.Perlman.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Can be Reversed:
- RA is known to be caused by our own antibodies. A specific type of White Blood Cells known as T-cells are the ones responsible for RA.
- The natural process in a healthy human system is that the antibodies self destroy themselves after attacking the foreign threat(attacking virus or bacteria) in the body.
- But in RA the immune cells are found to be in a hyper-active state. These immune cells are called macrophages. These macrophages tend to live on even after their job is accomplished. These macrophages start building up in the joints as they can multiply rapidly within the blood stream. This leads to arthritis.
- No non-toxic effective way exists that can treat this problem.
- Upon inspecting the macrophages of several RA patients Dr.Perlman was able to discover that the immune cells were lacking in a certain molecule called ‘Bin’. ‘Bin’ is responsible for the self destruction of the macrophages.
- To correct the shortage of ‘Bin’ molecules Dr.Perlman developed a new molecule, BH3 mimetic. This molecule is an imitation of ‘Bin’ molecule.
- Upon injecting this molecule into the mice, BH3 mimetic stealthily attacked the hyper-active macrophages and the macrophages were destroyed.
- Another interesting thing noted was the reduction of bone destruction and joint swelling in the mice. This was possible because the new molecule was triggering a reversion of RA.
Non-Toxic and Safe:
There are not many treatments available for patients suffering from RA.
- Low level chemotherapy and steroids like cortisones are often suggested but they have proved to be ineffective. They are also not void of side-effects.
- Also,there is a new therapy followed now-a-days called the biologic response modifiers. These are a class of proteins or antibodies that help reduce joint inflammations caused by macrophages. But they don’t tend to work effectively for everyone and there is a risk of infection coupled with other side effects.
- The new molecule which is also being called as the ‘suicide molecule’ or ‘Casper ghost’ has proven to be non-toxic and there seem to be no side -effects associated with it.
Rheumatoid Arthritis can be reversed if this molecule can be made into a drug. Sophisticated methods like nano-technology can be looked into if the molecule needs further development which would also help in the manufacturing of a drug for RA.